Open your hearts and help us advocate for animals in need. Help to make a difference in the life of a homeless pet.
Volunteering with the Yakima Humane Society is a great way to improve the lives of shelter pets. Quality time has a positive and long lasting effect on the well-being of the animals in our care. The Yakima Humane Society is deeply grateful for the generosity, commitment and passion of our volunteers. Volunteers make it possible to carry out our mission to end animal suffering and reduce animal overpopulation in our community.
Benefits of volunteering with the Yakima Humane Society:
• Help end animal cruelty and find homes for animals
• Increase your knowledge about animal behavior
• Work alongside other pet enthusiasts
• Yearly appreciation events
• Opportunities to share your knowledge with the community
• Add skills to your resume
Tasks as a volunteer:
• Save lives of animals in your community
• Interact with adoptable cats and dogs
• Assist with cleaning kennels, doing laundry and dishes to help keep the shelter health and safe
• Provide customer service
• Advocate for homeless animals through outreach and events
Requirements to volunteer:
• Be at least 16 years old with parental consent
• Commit to 6 months, minimally 8 hours per month
• Attend a Volunteer Information Session
• Interview with the Volunteer & Foster Coordinator
Our volunteers come from all walks of life. They are seniors, teens, professionals, students, dog lovers and cat enthusiasts. Although they are a diverse group of individuals, they have one thing in common - a passion from making a better life for animals. Volunteers help us care for the animals and operate our shelter in a variety of different ways. They walk dogs, groom cats and help our shelter animals find their furever homes.
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to learn more about our volunteer & foster programs please contact our Volunteer & Foster Coordinator at (509) 457-6854 ext. 107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unable to commit to the time requirements for volunteering?
We offer public dog walking for those individuals that do not have the time to commit to a regular volunteer position. If you are at least 18 years old and can provide a valid Drivers License you can walk our adoptable dogs (7 months and older) on the Greenway Path alongside the shelter. Dog Walking hours are Monday - Friday from 11:00 am - 3:30 pm and on Saturdays from 12:00 - 3:30 pm (weather permitting).